Do you want to mute someone on Instagram but don’t know how?
Maybe you are fed up with seeing their endless stories of their meals but don’t want the fallout from unfollowing them?
Or are you curious about Instagram’s mute option and want to know more? Whatever the reason is that brought you here, we have the answer for you!
Figuring out how to mute someone on Instagram can be tricky, especially if you have never done it before (see also “How To Pin A Comment On Instagram“).
The last thing you want to do is do it wrong, accidentally unfollow them, or worse call them!
You head online for some advice but are met with pages and pages of conflicting information.
Frustrated and disappointed, you wonder if you will ever know how to mute someone on Instagram.
Well, that’s where we come in! Today, we will walk you through the process of muting (and unmuting) someone on Instagram.
Get ready to become a pro at muting your followers and friends on Instagram!
What Is Muting Someone On Instagram?
Before we dive into today’s article, let’s have a quick recap for those that need it.
Muting someone on Instagram stops the person’s posts and stories from appearing on your feed.
You will still follow each other, but their content won’t clutter up your feed.
If you do want to check out their stories or posts, you will need to use Instagram’s search function to find the account and view all their posts in one place (see also “What Are The Pros Of Multiple Instagram Accounts?“).
Remember, stories are only visible for twenty-four hours, so you can only see the stories they have posted that day.
The person you have muted on Instagram won’t know that you have muted them either!
Unless of course, you go from suddenly liking all of their posts to radio silence.
It’s a polite way to hide their content without unfollowing them. After all, nobody wants someone to awkwardly ask why you have unfollowed them on social media!
You can also mute someone’s messages or calls on Instagram. They will still be able to send you messages or try to call you, but you won’t get the notifications.
Now that we have established what muting someone on Instagram is, let’s get into what brought you here and find out how to mute someone!
How To Mute Someone On Instagram
There are a few ways that you can mute someone on Instagram. You can mute their messages and calls, stories, posts, or all three!
Each option has a slightly different method, but they can all be done in a few easy steps!
We have broken them down for you below so you can choose what you would like to mute.
How To Mute Someone’s Calls Or Messages
To mute someone’s calls or messages on Instagram you can follow these steps below:
- Click on your messages. The arrow symbol for your messages is either along the bottom of your screen on a desktop or the top right corner of your mobile app.
- Click on the chat with the person that you want to mute.
- Locate the ‘i’ button on the top right of your chat.
- There will be an option to Mute Messages or Mute Call notifications. Simply tick the boxes of the ones that you want to mute.
How To Mute Someone’s Instagram Story
To mute someone’s Instagram story, you have two options. You can either mute them while viewing their Instagram story or through their profile.
We have both options listed below for you.
Muting Someone Via Their Story
- Click on the person’s story that you want to view. You can find this by scrolling through your stories at the top of your home page.
- At the top right of their story, you will see ‘…’. Click on this to pull up your list of options.
- Select mute from the list.
- You will then be asked to confirm if you want to mute their story or their story and posts from your feed.
How To Mute Someone Via Their Instagram Page
- Search for the person’s Instagram page that you wish to mute.
- Click on their page and wait for it to load up.
- Underneath their profile picture and bio, you will see a box with ‘Following’ on. Click on the box, don’t worry you won’t unfollow the person!
- Select the mute option. It will then load a screen where you can toggle muting options. Here you can choose to mute their posts, stories, and notes.
How To Unmute Someone On Instagram
If you ever change your mind, you can unmute someone on Instagram. The easiest way to do this is to head to their profile. You can then follow the steps below to unmute them.
- Load up the person’s profile you have muted on Instagram.
- Click on the ‘Following’ button underneath their bio and profile picture.
- Click on the mute option from the list that appears.
- Press the toggles to unmute them. You can choose to unmute their stories, posts, and notes, or all of them.
Another method is to unmute their story through their Instagram story. To do this you can use the following steps.
- Click on the muted person’s Instagram story.
- Locate the ‘…’ in the top right corner of their story and click on them.
- Select the unmute story option. Their stories will now appear on your main feed for you to view with the rest of your followers’ stories.
If you muted someone through messages, simply follow the steps we outlined earlier, but untick the boxes.
This will unmute them and you will receive message notifications as normal.
And there you have it, all the ways you can mute someone on Instagram!
As you can see, muting and unmuting someone is easy to do and hides their posts and stories from your view.
Whether you are sick of endless food pics, soppy posts dedicated to their partner, or their content doesn’t interest you, you can now hide it from view without them ever knowing!
- 7 Best Video Downloaders For Instagram - March 1, 2023
- How To Download Instagram Highlights - March 1, 2023
- Can The Public See My Private Stories On Instagram? - March 1, 2023