Instagram is the go-to place to post pictures, videos, keep up with your friends, and peep on celebs. This free photo and video-sharing app can be used by iPhone and Android users, and it’s one of the most heavily used social media apps in the whole world.
Like any other app, Instagram comes with a cache. Here, data is stored that can help make reopening the app or website much faster – think of it as a temporary storage location that can hold files, scripts, images, and more.
Although a cache is essential for any app, there are some benefits to clearing it occasionally, even on Instagram. If you want to clear your Instagram cache or learn the benefits of doing so, stick with us to find out more.
What Is An Instagram Cache?
Like any other cache, the Instagram cache is a place that holds a collection of files and data to make your app load and launch faster. The Instagram cache stores information for almost every feature of the app to make your experience smoother.
For example, when you click on someone’s profile, Instagram will store the data and use it the next time you click on their account to make it load faster.
Older images and videos will already be stored in the cache, and will already be loaded up the second you click on their account.
In other words, the cache is there for YOUR benefit. Not only do files load faster because Instagram doesn’t need to load up each individual file, but it’ll also benefit you because it’ll reduce the amount of internet you need to use, and improve your app experience.
It’s a win-win.
Can You See Cache Files?
No, you cannot view these cache files. Cache files will build up every time you use the app, and they’re stored quietly and securely. You’ll be able to see how many MB or GB are stored in your cache, but not the individual files.
Do You Need To Clear Your Instagram Cache?
Technically, no, you don’t NEED to clear your Instagram cache. However, some people choose to do it every so often to free up storage space.
If you’ve been using Instagram regularly for years and you’ve never cleared your cache, there will be tonnes of app data stored here.
Whether it’s in MB or GB, it all adds up, and if you have low storage on your phone, clearing the cache on Instagram (and other apps), can be the simplest way to free up your internal memory without having to delete other apps, personal large media files, and more.
Simply clear your cache, and you’re good to go.
Once you’ve cleared your cache, you probably won’t even notice a change in your user experience. If you have slower internet, some pages may take a little longer to load, but all in all, it’s worth it if you need the storage.
How To Clear Your Instagram Cache: Android
If you’re an Android user, here’s how you can clear your Instagram cache in just a few clicks:
- Locate the Instagram app on your phone (see also “How To Use Instagram Without Installing The App“).
- Instead of opening the app, long press the icon.
- A small menu display should appear; click on the small ‘i’ button and press the ‘app info’ menu.
- Now, click on the ‘Storage’ option found under the ‘Usage’ menu.
- This will give you a series of stats for Instagram, including App storage, Data storage, Cache, and total. Click on the ‘clear cache’ option in the bottom right corner of your screen.
That’s it! The Instagram cache on your Android phone has now been cleared.
How To Clear Your Instagram Cache: iPhone
If you’re using an iPhone, things are a little different. Unlike Android phones, you can’t just clear the cache. You’ll have to explore a variety of documents and data held by Instagram, and see what methods you can take on your iPhone. Here’s what you can do:
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu by clicking on the gray cog settings app.
- Click on ‘General’, and scroll down to ‘iPhone Storage’.
- Open ‘iPhone Storage’, and scroll down until you find Instagram. Open the Instagram option.
- When you press on Instagram, it will show you the App Size and Documents and Data, which refers to the cache. You’ll now have two options: delete the app, or offload Instagram.
- To clear your Instagram cache, you’ll have to delete the app and reinstall it. Offloading the app will keep your data, so you’ll have to completely uninstall Instagram.
- Once you’ve uninstalled the app, head back into the app store, redownload Instagram, log in, and your cache should be cleared. To check you’ve done this correctly, follow the steps above and view App Size and Documents in the iPhone Storage menu. If your cache has been cleared, it will be 0.
Does Deleting The App Delete My Account?
No, deleting the app will NOT delete your account. However, you will need to log back in when you reinstall the app. So, take note of your Instagram username and password before you delete the app so you can access your account (see also “How To Delete A LinkedIn Account“).
Once you’ve reinstalled the app and logged back in, your account, pictures, and videos will all be exactly as you remember them.
Clearing your Instagram cache does NOT remove your personal media, just the files that the app stores on your phone, so the contents of your account are safe, even if you have to delete the app!
Although there are no real risks to clearing your cache regularly, remember: the cache exists for your benefit.
If you clear your cache often, you may have slower response times and a poor user experience, so only clear your cache if you’re low on internal storage.
Remember: although you can clear your cache on Android, you’ll have to completely remove the app on iPhone to clear your cache (see also “How To Delete Albums On iPhone“). Follow the steps above to do this safely.
- 7 Best Video Downloaders For Instagram - March 1, 2023
- How To Download Instagram Highlights - March 1, 2023
- Can The Public See My Private Stories On Instagram? - March 1, 2023