One of the neat things about having an iPhone is that you can personalize it with your own name.
This means that whenever you plug into your iPhone to the music player in your car or hook it up to your desktop, it will display your unique name or nickname.
But what if you’ve had a change of heart and decided that your iPhone needs a new name? Sometimes the funny nickname that you gave it a few years ago now isn’t so funny anymore.
It also might be very inappropriate, causing you much embarrassment when people see it on the screen of your car’s digital music player.
So can you change the name on your iPhone or is it permanent like a baby’s name? Well, thankfully, no. You can change the name of your iPhone quickly and without having to tamper with anything on your device.
Read our brief guide to find out how.
Why Should I Change My iPhone Name?
There are many reasons why you might want to change the name that you have on your iPhone. One of the main reasons is that you just don’t like the current name.
It might be a nickname that you had years ago that nobody uses anymore and seems weird whenever you see it.
It might not even be in your name. If you had a partner, then you might have had it in their name.
Since then, you might have broken up and now you want to get rid of the painful or awkward reminder that keeps coming up on the screen.
One of the more common reasons for changing the name on your phone is that you might have bought it second-hand and it might still be in the name of the old owner.
The last thing you’ll want if your name is Sarah is to be using ‘Bob’s iPhone’.
So how can you change this? Luckily the process is very simple and all you have to do is follow a few steps.
Should I Change My iPhone Name For Privacy Reasons?
Yes, if you are looking to protect your account from third parties, then we would recommend changing your iPhone name.
If you are connecting to a public Wi-Fi or using your personal Wi-Fi on a public account, then your iPhone name might be revealed to others. If you have a nickname, then this will afford you a better level of privacy.
Also, if you are using two different iPhones – for example, one for your work and one for personal use – then having different names will help you distinguish between the two.
If you are selling on your iPhone or your other Bluetooth-synched devices, then you might also want to erase all traces of yourself from these devices.
If you have your first and last name as your iPhone name, then you might feel uneasy about someone else having this information. Below we have more info about deleting your info from synced apps.
How To Change The Name On Your iPhone
- Open the ‘settings’ menu on your iPhone – you can usually find this on the first page of your iPhone (see also “How To Delete Albums On iPhone“). It is usually gray and is represented by two meshing cogs. You can also swipe down and click on the settings icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on the ‘general’ section – now that you are in the settings section, swipe down until you get to the ‘general’ tab.
- Click on ‘About’ – this is in the general settings menu. It is usually located near the top of the headings. This will give you all the information that you need about your iPhone.
- Click on your iPhone name – you should see the current name of your iPhone, which can be found at the top of the screen. By clicking on this, you can then change the name of your phone.
Once you have changed the name of your iPhone, click the ‘done’ button and it will be saved.
From now on whenever you plug your iPhone into your computer or you have connected it to your music player, then the new name will automatically appear.
Changing Your iPhone Name Through Your Desktop
Sometimes your iPhone screen will not be accessible – for example, if you have damaged the screen – which means that you won’t be able to access it in the way we have mentioned above.
However, you’ll be happy to know that you can change it through other means.
You can connect to your iPhone through your desktop computer, either using a Windows OS or an iOS. All you have to do is connect your iPhone to your computer using your iPhone charging cable.
Once you have done this, follow these few steps:
- Open your finder menu and type in the name of your device.
- Open iTunes, either on Windows or your Apple Mac.
- At the top left-hand corner of the screen, you’ll see the name of your device.
- Double-click on this name and you’ll see that you can change it. All you need to do is type in a new name and then hit enter and your iPhone name will be changed.
You can do this on all types of operating systems. If you are unsure that you have permanently changed your iPhone name, then you can unplug it and plug it in again.
You should see that the new name is viewable every time you plug it in. You can also try plugging into other devices and players to see if the change has become permanent.
You can also change the name of your other Bluetooth devices through the ‘Bluetooth’ setting on your iPhone. You should see a list of devices that you can then alter by clicking and typing in a new name.
We hope that this article has given you all you need to know for changing your iPhone’s name and some of the reasons why you might do it. It only takes you a few minutes and can be done as many times as you want.