If you are on your TikTok, you’ll know that privacy and producing age-appropriate content are super important.
The minimum age limit for TikTok is 13, so making sure that adult content does not end up being seen by minors is crucial.
There have been instances where inappropriate content has been seen by younger children. This is why it is important to verify your age and why it is very difficult to change that age once it has been set.
You can alter your age on TikTok, but it is not that easy.
So how can you change your age on TikTok?
Well, it is not easy, but it can be done. We’re going to give you a brief guide to the age verification system on TikTok, along with why people might want to change their age and how you can go about doing it.
Why Should I Change My Age On TikTok?
Sometimes if you are entering your age, you might have made a genuine mistake and entered it incorrectly.
If your mistaken age is below the threshold, then this might mean that you cannot view inappropriate content even though you are an adult.
This can be a common mistake amongst younger users, where they might enter their incorrect age when setting up their account and not notice until years later.
However, TikTok has radically altered its policy for age updates as of 2021.
The result of which has been that all profiles that are aged 16 or under are now strictly private and cannot have their age updated without contacting the TikTok community team.
But there might be legitimate reasons why you might want to change your age on TikTok. Here is how you can go about doing that.
How Can I Change My Age On TikTok?
Changing your age on this website is not easy, but you can do it without having to create a completely new profile. It will involve you getting in touch with the TikTok customer support team.
Here’s how you can do it:
- In your iPhone or Android phone, select your TikTok app (see also “Can You Watch Tiktok Without The App Or Account?“).
- Go to the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and click on your profile avatar.
- Once you are in the profile screen, click on the three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen (also known as the ‘hamburger icon’).
- This will lead you to your settings page. Here you have the option of changing the various settings on your account as well as certain privacy issues.
- Click on the ‘Support’ icon. This is where you can get in contact with the TikTok customer support team.
- Click on the ‘Report A problem’ tab.
- Select the ‘Account And Profile’ tab. This is where you can report a problem with your account to the TikTok support team. Your age settings are directly associated with your account and profile.
- Open the ‘Editing Profile’ tab.
- Select the ‘Other’ tab.
- Now click on the ‘Need More Help?’ icon. This is where you can specify any issue that is not already covered by one of the settings tabs in your TikTok app.
- This will bring up a feedback form in which you can specify your concern. You’ll have to write out that your age is incorrect on your TikTok account and that you would like it changed.
Once you have completed these steps, then you will need to await contact from a member of the TikTok team. They will usually get in touch with you via the email address that is associated with your account.
You will also have to provide proof of age, usually in the form of government-approved photo identification.
You will need to send this as an image to the TikTok team. Once your ID has been approved, then you will be notified through your email.
How Can I Check My Age On TikTok?
This is another process that will require you to contact the TikTok team. You won’t be able to view it straight through your app on your phone.
To view the age on your TikTok, you will have to complete the following steps:
- Go on your TikTok app.
- Click on the ‘Profile’ icon, which can usually be found in the bottom right hand of the screen.
- Once you are on the profile page, click on the hamburger icon in the top left of the screen.
- Click on ‘Report A Problem’.
- Select ‘Account and Profile’.
- Select ‘Editing Profile’.
- Then click the ‘Request More Help’ panel. Here you will have to manually enter the issue you are trying to resolve. In this case, you are looking for an update on your TikTok age. This is what you have to type into the query box.
A member of the TikTok team will then contact you through the email address that you supplied when you signed up for TikTok in the first place.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Update My TikTok Age By Myself?
No, there is currently no setting option on your TikTok app that you can use to change your age. You will have to contact the community guidance officers at the TikTok team to do this.
Will I Have To Create A New Profile With My Correct Age?
No, you can contact the TikTok team directly and they will update your age for you. You will have to provide proof of your age and submit it to them via email.
Will An Incorrect Age On My TikTok Prohibit Me From Seeing Certain Content?
If you are under the age of 16, then your account will be set in Restricted Mode. This will focus on certain keywords and block you from seeing age-restricted content.
Hopefully, this guide to changing your age on TikTok will give you a better idea of how the app works as well as the protocols that you have to follow to implement an age change.
If you enjoyed this article, you might like our post ‘What Is Fansly?‘.