It’s nice to imagine that we as people could live in perfect harmony all the time, right?
It’s just not necessarily always possible. There’s always going to come a time when you butt heads with someone or another.
They cross a boundary. Your personalities clash. They pester you too often. You just don’t like them.
There is a whole host of reasons why you and another person might just not get along or see eye to eye. And in the real world, avoiding those people is easy enough. You just stay out of their way.
Online, escape isn’t always so easy.
Maybe this person just keeps on messaging you after you’ve asked them to stop. Maybe they keep saying mean or nasty things. Maybe they are displaying inappropriate behavior.
Whatever the reason, you want to cut contact right away. And so there’s only one thing for it. They have to be blocked from being able to interact with your online profile.
Today I’m going to look at exactly how you can go about doing so on Linkedin. So, if you’ve got someone you want to make go away…you’ll want to keep on reading.
Blocking Someone On LinkedIn
Blocking someone can be a pretty unpleasant thing to do. I know that for me I always get really bad anxiety doing so. But sometimes it is a necessity.
Luckily, with LinkedIn, it’s likely that the blockee will not even know that they have been blocked by the blocker.
LinkedIn doesn’t let users know when they’ve been blocked and this can massively take a lot of the stress away from doing so. At least I know it’s made things easier for me.
So, how do you go about blocking someone on LinkedIn?
- The first thing you’ll want to do is take a visit to the offending user’s profile page. From there you’ll click the ‘More’ button that can be found just below their bio. This will open a drop-down menu and from there you will select ‘Report/Block.’
- From there you’ll have a few options such as ‘Report content on profile’ and ‘report post, comments, or message.’ You’re looking for the option that says ‘Block (user’s name)’
- Once you’ve done this, you’ll get a little pop-up message asking you ‘Are you sure you want to block (user’s name)’ You’ll have the option to select ‘Go Back’ or ‘Block.’
- Clicking block will then block that user from engaging with you or your content.
Can You Block People Without Visiting Their Profiles?
Like you, I very much wish this was a feature of LinkedIn, but alas, for now, it is not. Yep, you can’t block someone without actually visiting their page. Which is pretty annoying.
But don’t worry all my fellow worry-heads. I do know a sneaky little magic trick to get around this…kind of.
There is a way to visit the profile of the offending user to block them without your name or profile picture being shown or traced. Yay for incognito.
Okay, so to do this, you’ll need to add a few earlier steps to the aforementioned blocking guide.
- The very first thing you’ll do once you log into LinkedIn is select the ‘Me’ tab that can be found on the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- When you click this it should automatically present a drop-down list where you can select the ‘Settings & Privacy’ option.
- This should then bring you to a new menu screen. Here you’ll need to click ‘Visibility.’ From there you can click the ‘Profile Viewing Options’ button and click ‘Change.’
- From here you can choose how to display your profile. You’ll want to select ‘Private Mode’ as ‘Anonymous Linkedin Member.’
This will mean that when you visit someone’s profile for whatever reason your name won’t be visible. So you can sneak in like a ninja and stealthily block yourself without anyone knowing a thing!
Just be sure to remember to revert your profile back to normal after the deed is done!
What Happens When You Block Someone?
So, now that you know how to go about blocking someone, you may actually be wondering exactly what happens next.
Can they still see things about you? Can they still message you? Can you still message them? Let’s find out.
The following will happen once a user is blocked on LinkedIn:
- No access to either user’s profile
- No access to direct messaging
- No ability to see each other’s content
- No longer connected
- No access to ‘Who’s Viewed Your Profile’ list.
- No notifications about upcoming LinkedIn Events
- No further access to subscribed newsletters
- No endorsements or recommendations from either user – pre-existing ones will be removed.
- No access to ‘People You May Know’
- No Access to ‘People Also Viewed’
- No sent notification for blocking – only you can unblock this user
It’s worth noting that blocked users in group chats (see also “How To Make A Group Chat On Snapchat“) and shared accounts work a little differently. Below you’ll find the standard protocol for these types of accounts:
- Group members cannot block admins. To block admin their admin permission will need to be blocked or removed first.
- If you wish to block a manager of a LinkedIn group, you’ll have to leave the group before you can block the said person.
- If you want to block a member of a group you manage, you’ll first need to delete the user’s account from the group before you block them (see also “How To Delete A LinkedIn Account“).
- If you block a user that you share a LinkedIn Recruiter account with, the user will be notified about the block to effectively manage the account.
The idea of blocking someone is never a nice one, and for most of us comes as a final resort. Thankfully, as you can see the process of blocking users on LinkedIn is relatively simple and pain-free.
The user never even has to know. So, if you’ve got someone you need to escape from in the online world, use this article to help you. It’ll be our little secret.
- 7 Best Video Downloaders For Instagram - March 1, 2023
- How To Download Instagram Highlights - March 1, 2023
- Can The Public See My Private Stories On Instagram? - March 1, 2023